Monday, October 17, 2005

Plyometrics and the Distance Runner

In my cross country ski class, we've been doing a LOT of plyometrics to get ready for ski season. As I was pathetically hopping side-to side across lines on both feet, I started thinking "is this good for running"?

Apparently it is a good question. On the web, I've found multiple places discussing the use of plyometrics on distance runners, and it can be controversial.

First of all, let's talk about the basics of plyometrics. Plyometrics are technically any exercise that involves a jumping movement. Skipping, hopping, and jumping rope are all examples that fit this description. Plyometrics are also used specifically to build power and increase agility in athletes.

For distance runners, the biggest advantage that many see of this type of exercise is its ability to increase stride rate and length by strenthening the leg muscles. If your legs are strong, you get a better push-off at the end of your running stride which should allow you to minimize the time your feet are actually spending on the ground. For stride length, each time you take a step, you are moving your center of gravity forward. Your ability to bring yourself back into balance by pushing off of the other foot and using your arms is what makes an increase in stride length possible without overstriding.

There are other people, though that believe that plyometrics is not useful for the marathon runner. Dustin Parson believes that since marathon running is a high endurance sport, that marathoners will not benefit much from plyometric training.

After reading these and other articles, I would suspect that the answer is somewhere in the middle. Like speedwork, pylometrics forces you to develop your fast-twitch muscle fibers, and this is always a good thing if you are a slowpoke like me. The disadvantage of plyometrics is that it is easy to get injured, especially if you are the type that has a tendency of going beyond your physical boundaries.

I, for one, will continue with the plyometric training, and will let you know in November (at my next marathon testing time) if I think this has improved my running or not.

If you'd like to try some plyometrics yourself, here are some links:
--PerformBetter.com
--Runner's Web Plyometrics for Runners
--Don Chu's Plyometric Exercises...you can also buy his books at his website.

1 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Blogger chaipo said...

Hi everyone --

Just thought I would update on how the plyometrics helped my running. The biggest difference: I knocked about 45 seconds off my mile PR after doing a month of workouts. Now I am slow, but the speed up was pretty darn amazing.

Did it wind up relating to better marathon times? Not really.

However, I do think it shows that perhaps for shorter races, like 5ks or trail runs, that certainly plyometrics could certainly help. I will definitely be continuing this year.

Thanks!
Lori

 

Post a Comment

<< Home